Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Autumn's First Blush


Autumn is dawning. Everywhere I look, the first tinges of color where before there was none. The oaks are starting to turn and I know the maples won't be far behind. The last of the flowers are hanging on to their color and cozy mornings are bathed in golden light.


The squirrels and chipmunks are busy foraging for food, providing constant entertainment for the cats and constant nose prints on the windows for me. I know as soon as I decorate my porch with cornstalks, they will strip all of the cobs. I'm fine with this. We have an arrangement. At this time of year, more than any other, this place resembles a Disney movie, resplendent with woodland creatures. The squirrels stand above me in the tree eating as much of the fruit on the tree as they can, and throwing their discards down at me. They know what they are doing. The other day I was driving down Walnut St. and a squirrel stood in the road playing chicken with me. He won. My lovely, enchanted Village.


In the mornings I drive Emma to school, coming home on the back roads so that I can drive slower and my constant companion, Millie, can hang her head out the window the whole way. If we get really lucky, there will be nobody behind us and we can drive 10 mph under the speed limit making the trip that much better (and longer) for each of us. We pass large, round bales of hay and cows grazing. We pass a tractor sitting idle in a field, appearing to glow from the sun rising around it. We pass field after field of golden, spiky corn stalks.


At home things are quiet, the corners still shadowy this early in the morning. The dog wants to lay on the back porch breathing in the brisk air. The cat is more demanding of some love and I am happy to give it.


The day's demands are calling: laundry, cleaning, errands and appointments. All I really want to do is knit, read, write, bake and make soup. Pursuits that feed my soul. It feels like the right time for feeding my soul, like it came just when I needed it.


I know that October is the main event but I'm just realizing how magical September's build up is. Welcome, Autumn! I've been waiting for you.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar